Confused by all the NOISE around 5G and want to know what’s REAL and what’s HYPE? I’ve got you covered with this “5G Podcast Primer”.
We hear a lot about how 5G will transform the way we work, live and play, but the question is, will 5G live up to the expectations?
To help answer this question, I recorded five TechBurst Asia podcasts over the past two months with global industry experts covering all aspects of 5G, including:
- 5G Basics: why is 5G different from previous networks, what 5G can deliver today versus what it will deliver in the future, and the critical success factors for building a successful 5G business
- 5G Current State Analysis: which countries are leading & lagging with regards to network deployments, 5G data monetisation, and consumer & enterprise 5G adoption
- 5G Financials: funding models for 5G network deployments, data pricing options, and enterprise solution monetisation opps
- 5G Solutions: which industries & use cases will drive the enterprise market opp, how to source innovation, and the importance of providing an end-to-end solution
- 5G’s Emerging Trends: network infrastructure sharing, Private 5G, and OpenRAN
If you need to get up to speed with what’s really going on with 5G, these podcasts are a great place to start.
Links to each podcast are below along with a summary of the guest’s credentials & a summary of the topics covered.
Michael Gryseels – Singapore / Bangkok
- Executive Vice Chairman – True Digital Group; Chief Digital Officer – Charoen Pokphand Group (C.P. Group); Former Senior Partner – McKinsey & Company
- The status of 5G in Thailand & why it leads SE Asia in 5G deployments
- The 5G use cases True Digital has prioritised & which industry verticals create to near term opps
- The role Private 5G will play in Thailand & the industries (e.g. manufacturing, farming) that will lead the adoption
- The Critical Success Factors for operators to be capitalise on the 5G market opp
Ferry Grijpink – Amsterdam
- Senior Partner – McKinsey & Company; Global Lead – Digital & Analytics for the TMT Industry; Founder – McKinsey Center for Advanced Connectivity
- Funding 5G network infrastructure – standalone vs. network sharing
- How to monetise consumer & enterprise 5G solutions via new solutions or services (e.g. tiered pricing)
- The industries / use cases McKinsey believes will drive enterprise 5G adoption
- Will OpenRAN be a game changer & how will the Private 5G market evolve?
Mike Graham – Kuala Lumpur
- How 5G in SE Asia will evolve in 2021
- Why SE Asia telcos lag behind with regards to innovation
- The operators considered “best practice” for deploying digital solutions
- Views on OpenRAN & Rakuten Mobile‘s 5G network deployment
Danial Mausoof – Abu Dhabi
- Global Sales Head, Enterprise Services – Nokia; Danial’s new role is the Head of Mobile Network Sales for Middle East & Africa
- Why 5G is different from previous network technologies (3G, 4G)
- The 5G Market Opp – the money IS NOT in the connectivity
- 5G’s impact on Smart Cities
- If I am a tech decision maker – why should I give a damn about 5G?
Chris Lewis – London
- Can telcos make the transition from connectivity provider to digital solution provider?
- Funding 5g network infrastructure – should there be more network sharing?
- Do customers actually want 5G?