Ever wondered how the World Bank leverages the technology and innovation to disrupt the agriculture industry in developing markets? In this podcast, we speak with the World Bank’s Parmesh Shah to find out how they engage developed countries like Korea to drive disruption and innovation in developing markets like Vietnam, Kenya & Nigeria.
- How the combination of being an agricultural engineer with an MBA and a doctorate in development studies led him to his role at the world bank
04:00 What is the World Bank’s “Disruptive Agriculture Technology Roadshow” – and what do you mean by “Disruptive Agriculture”?
- How does the World Bank work with the Korean government to help you reach your objectives?
08:15 Overview of the some of the Smart Agriculture solutions behind deployed across Africa
- Hello Tractor – an Uber-like solution helping rural tractor owners get the most value out of their assets – and how this benefits farmers that cannot afford their own tractors. The new buzz word, Tractors-as-a-Service!
- Tulaa – provides smallholder farmers with quality agricultural inputs on credit and brokers the sale of their crop at harvest time.
- AgriWallet – a mobile business account allowing farmers to save, borrow and pay for income generating activities to increase food security and fight poverty
14:30 How the World Bank is leveraging IoT sensors to help rice farmers in Vietnam better manage their crops.
17:00 What challenges to you encounter when trying to deliver Disruptive Agriculture in developing markets?
20:50 The World Bank’s three “labs” to experiment and drive innovation: BlockChain Lab – Big Data Lab – Disruptive Technology Lab.
22:15 Overview of some of the Korean Smart Agriculture startups
- Telofarm – sensors that you can stick into the plant’s stem – The Internet of Plants
- N.thing – indoor and container farming
27:40 What role does Korea play in the World Bank’s plan?
30:30 How to find the best #SmartAg innovators? Run a Challenge! More info at: https://www.worldbank.org/en/events/2019/04/05/disruptive-agricultural-technology-challenge-and-conference#3
34:40 what will the World Bank do to keep the Disruptive Agriculture momentum going?
36:20 Let’s say it’s a perfect world and I can grant you one wish to help you drive Disruptive Agriculture in developing markets, what would you wish for?
38:15 How can our audience get more information about you and the World Bank’s Disruptive Agriculture initiatives?
World Bank Disruptive Technologies: https://olc.worldbank.org/content/disruptive-technology-overview
Disruptive Agriculture Initiatives: https://www.worldbank.org/en/events/2019/04/05/disruptive-agricultural-technology-challenge-and-conference#3