Which Smartphones lived up to the hype in 2019? In this episode, I sat down with Asia’s top device analyst, IDC’s Bryan Ma, to discuss…
- His view on the latest flagship launches from Google, Apple, Samsung & Huawei
- The impact the China v US trade war will have on Huawei
- Whether we actually need foldable phones
- How much is too much for a smartphone
- Punk music, skateboarding, karaoke and much more…
Show Notes & Timestamps:
02:30 How did a skatepunk foodie from California end out as Asia’s top device analyst?
05:00 Bryan’s take on the Google Pixel 4 launch (loves the AI camera)
07:10 …the Apple iPhone 11 Pro (loves the 3 lenses)
10:50 ….Huawei Mate Pro (likes the Leica lens & sensors) – and what will the impact of the China v US trade war have on Huawei’s future?
14:55 What camera functionality will drive future smartphone sales – the lens (e.g. Huawei w/ Leica) or the AI?
16:20 Why the hell would anyone want a foldable phone?
19:50 What is going to drive the next wave of differentiation in smartphones? (today it’s the camera, but the future is all about display technology)
27:50 How much is too much for a smartphone?
30:00 What’s the best phone to buy if I want…
- The best phone
- Best battery life
33:30 Which manufacturer has the best opportunity to gain market share in the next 24 months? His answer may surprise you!
39:15 Wearables – i had made a prediction that said early adopters would be the only adopters for smartwatches – was I correct? Has the market taken off?
- We need use cases – e.g. Healthcare (Omate’s Elderly Care) or Vault Intelligence’s Solo wearable solution for Lone Worker protection
43:30 Let’s go old school – what was your favourite smartphone pre-iOS and Android?
Enough of the serious questions, let’s have some fun!
50:00 What’s your most embarrassing moment you have had on TV?
51:45 You get to live you life all over again – what would you want to be next time?
- Device analyst
- Punk singer
- Karaoke singer
- Professional eater
53:00 What is Bryan’s favourite…
- Punk band
- Karaoke song (seriously, he said “Earth Wind & Fire”)
- City for karaoke
- Drink while doing karaoke (Baijo – it’s rocket fuel)
- Post-karaoke food
Follow Bryan on…
Follow TechBurst Asia via: