In this TechBurst Asia podcast, I speak with Gerhard Loots, Telstra’s Global IoT Solutions Executive at the end of the Telstra Vantage event, to discuss the role of the service provider, or Telco, in the Internet of Things.
While most service providers see IoT as a lucrative new revenue stream, few have been able to capitalise on that market opportunity. Telstra, on the other hand, has expanded its IoT solutions and services portfolio to make sure it doesn’t miss the opp.
01:48 How did a guy from South Africa’s winelands end out running the IoT business for Australia’s leading service provider?
02:30 Telstra has been in the IoT business for many years, how has the IoT solution portfolio and business evolved over the years?
05:48 What are the latest developments with Telstra’s IoT solutions and products?
07:33 How has Telstra moved across the IoT solution stack, branching out from connectivity to hardware, software and services?
09:50 What advice would you give to a service provider that is just starting out in IoT?
11:20 Telstra offers similar solutions that can run across many network types, including Bluetooth, NB-IoT, LTE, etc., and at many different price points. Where is the current market demand coming from?
13:15 Overview of Telstra’s Enterprise eSIM offering – and why it is attractive to manufacturers.
18:30 Why I think Telstra is now Asia Pacific’s “benchmark” for IoT solutions for a service provider
- Choice (networks and price points)
- New Revenue opportunities – moving across the IoT solution stack
- The services opp with Telstra Purple
- The eSIM offering
20:00 What’s next for Telstra’s IoT portfolio and solution offering
23:00 What has held the IoT industry back from reaching its potential?
- Amara’s Law: We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.
26:28 What are the unique challenges and opportunities for Australia’s IoT market?
27:50 Which emerging technology enabler (e.g. 5G, blockchain, AI) is Gerhard most excited about?
29:40 The REALLY important things, Gerhard’s view on…
- Surfing in Australia versus South Africa
- Who makes better wine, Australia or South Africa?
- What’s better, shrimp on the barbie or boerwors on the braai?
- How well will Australia and South Africa do in the Rugby World Cup – who will Gerhard support – and who will win
Telstra’s IoT offering: https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/solutions/internet-of-things
Gerhard on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerhard-loots-298bb93/
Follow the TechBurst Asia podcast via: